Upgrade to ChromeUpgrade to FirefoxUpgrade to Internet ExplorerUpgrade to Safari

19th October 2021

So you want to sell your second home? Or your rental property? For something that is so common, letting agents or conveyancers rarely give any helpful tax advice outside of Stamp Duty.

Capital Gains Tax

Capital Gains Tax, or CGT to its friends, is a tax on the profit when you sell (or ‘dispose of’) something (an ‘asset’) when it has increased in value. CGT has its own separate rates and allowances to the Income Tax you pay on your salary.

You generally won’t pay CGT when you sell your main home unless in exceptional circumstances, such if it has been used as a business premise or if you have let out all or part of your property (this doesn’t include lodgers under the Rent-a-Room scheme where you also live there).

You will, however, pay CGT when you sell a property that you purchased as a buy-to-let or holiday home, even if it is the only property you own.

What is my main residence?

If you own multiple properties, you need to understand and nominate the one that is your primary residence, or ‘Principle Private Residence (PPR)’. Your PPR depends on your actual circumstances and how you use it. This can change over time. For example, you could rent out a property that used to be your main home after moving in with a new partner. With the old house no longer being your PPR once it is let, your new home with your partner becomes your PPR, even if you do not own it.

These timelines are important from a CGT perspective as there is relief available for periods a property was your main home over a total period of ownership. If you live in more than one property, then you may declare – within two years of a change in the combination of your residences – which is your main residence for these purposes, even if one of them is not in the UK. If you do not make such a nomination, the question will be decided based on the facts presented to HMRC.

CGT Rates

Property sales incur higher rates of CGT than other types of assets. The rate you pay is determined by your income tax bandings. Basic Rate taxpayers will pay 18%, then 28% (the same as Higher Rate taxpayers) on the remainder of the gain that crosses the Higher Rate threshold.

CGT Allowance

Thankfully, every UK taxpayer receives an annual CGT allowance, separate from their Income tax personal allowance. The CGT allowance for 2022/23 is £12,300, which is especially beneficial where an asset or property is held jointly.

Reporting to HMRC

Property sales since 6th April 2020 have been subject to HMRC’s new reporting rules. Previously, you would make the declaration and pay the relevant tax on your next tax return. This would mean CGT generated on a profit on 6th April 2022 wouldn’t have been payable until January 2023.

The new rules require reporting and payment within 30 days of the completion of the sale via HMRC’s own Capital Gains Tax on the UK Property portal.

CGT is a very complex area and it is important to speak with an experienced tax consultant if you are thinking of selling a second property.

How can MyAccountant help?

We hope this article has helped answer some of your questions around residency and property taxes.

Should you need a tax expert on your side, please get in touch either by sending an e-mail to info@myaccountant.co.uk or calling us on 0800 917 9100.

If you’d like to see more articles like this, please visit the blogs section of our website and follow us on LinkedIn, Facebook or Twitter.


By: Robert Trappe

Latest Posts

Self-employment Essentials Have you been sitting on an idea for a while and decided to go for it this time?…

Read Full Article

Customer Testimonials

“I set up my consulting company after completing my work for London2012 and chose MyAccountant. They effectively supported me during the company set up and answered initial queries in an informative and prompt manner. ...

View full testimonial


“I have been with MyAccountant for many years and they have supported me through a range of different business needs.  From my being a marketing consultant to my running a small publishing company, and ...

View full testimonial


“I have been using MyAccountant for seven years now and can highly recommend their services.  I use them for both my company accounts and personal finances and find their knowledge, professionalism and attention to ...

View full testimonial


“Both during the companies’ initial set up and since that time, MyAccountant have shown first class care and diligence in looking after my personal and my business accounts. As a result, I have been ...

View full testimonial


Speak to our team on
0800 917 9100

Or click here to contact us

Join My Accountant Today

Fill out our registration form